Sous Chef Positions
Red Horse Mountain Ranch Family Resort in Idaho is known for its all inclusive dude ranch vacations including an extensive list of guided adventures, well appointed accommodations, first rate western hospitality, and a famous Kids’ Program for ages 3 and up. Located on 560 deeded acres, and over 300,000 acres of outfitter area, the ranch is a 1.5 hour drive from the Spokane International Airport, near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Full service, all-inclusive week long dude ranch vacations are available from June through October. Our kitchen is run by our Executive Chef, Lauren Hammons. You’ll be assisting her in the creation and continued success of our meal services. Our menu is designed to be “Healthy and Homemade,” flared with contemporary food themes including the freshness of the West. We encourage and meet all vegan, gluten-free, or any other food requirement. We highly recommend viewing our Dining Experience information on our website.
Introduction to the job
We’re looking for a creative, energetic person who works efficiently and has knowledge of a variety of cuisines and cooking methods, to fill our Sous Chef positions. We’re looking for a professional who is dedicated to food quality and sets high standards for their output. Our AM Sous Chef is responsible for preparing breakfast (both buffet and to-order) and buffet lunch up to 80 guests and staff. PM Chef handles the dinner menus. The Chefs can have an active role in planning the menu and is responsible for maintaining proper food levels, proper storage of food stock, and maintaining the sanitary condition of the kitchen. This includes washing and storing dishes, sweeping and mopping, restocking inventory, and general cleaning and organizing.
The Sous Chef acts second-in-command in the kitchen, directing and managing kitchen workers and taking over when the executive chef is absent. The sous chef ensures that all food production workers are performing their duties as prescribed by the quality standards established by the executive chef. We welcome guests with special dietary requirements, so every cook must be able to prepare meals to accommodate all special requests.The Kitchen team prepares quality pack meals for all-day guided activities and produces fresh baked breads, pastries, cookies and desserts as a part of the daily routine.Our Chefs are flexible and willing to work odd jobs and long hours when required.
This position is offered with housing: a dorm-style house with common kitchen and living area (expect a roommate), and most meals.
- Must be able to work in early to mid May through early October.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be physically able to carry 50 pounds up and down a full flight of stairs, repeatedly.
- Must be willing to work long hours, which are dependent on guest counts.
- Must demonstrate good communication skills, customer relations, and sound judgment.
- Must demonstrate safe cooking practices.
- Must be able to work as a team player, work with minimal supervision, and be able to take directions from the Executive Chef.
- Must wear required uniform while on shift; dress appropriately while around guests.
- Prefer 3 years of experience in food preparation.
- Prefer 1 year experience in cooking for special dietary requirements.
- Must be experienced in cooking proteins using a variety of cooking methods.
- Must have experience baking breads and pastries.
- Must have experience preparing a variety of desserts.
- Must have experience cooking soups and making fresh salads.
- Must hold a valid Driver’s License with clean driving record and be able to drive an automatic transmission (the ability to drive a manual transmission is preferred, but not required.)
- Must possess a valid Idaho Food Handler Permit.
- Must possess a valid first aid and CPR card.
- Must be a US Citizen or possess a current and appropriate working visa.
Sous Chef Responsibilities
- Helping in the preparation and design of all food
- Producing high quality dishes to both design and taste
- Ensuring that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards.
- Fill in for the Executive Chef in planning and directing food preparation when necessary
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and handle problematic situations
- Manage and train kitchen staff to the kitchen and serving manuals, and on the preparation and arrangement per the current menu.
- Comply with and enforce sanitation regulation and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and guests, respond personally to any guest concerns
- Make sure, or fill in when necessary, all kitchen duties are completed for the day in any capacity required.