Before we know it, sunshine and warmth will make their return, and Red Horse Mountain Ranch, outside of Harrison, Idaho, can’t wait to host your family summer vacation! Many of our programs revolve around immersing our guests in nature, so we have a bevy of outdoor activities for kids that will be the perfect addition to horseback riding and other equine endeavors. As much as we love watching youngsters build confidence and an appreciation for teamwork with group activities, we know there are at least a few kiddos out there who would rather spend their time wandering about the ranch in search of their next adventure. Given the abundance of natural beauty surrounding Red Horse Mountain, it’s no surprise that so many choose us as their favorite family summer vacation spot.
Family Summer Vacations at Red Horse Mountain Ranch
While some children have a natural propensity for nature, helping yours find a balance between exploration and collaboration is crucial. That’s why we try to incorporate group play into all of our programming. However, some kids want to be left to their own devices, and we appreciate that as well. To help make sure your next family summer vacation is fun for everyone, below we put together a list of fun outdoor activities for kids at Red Horse Mountain Ranch:
- Horseback riding is at the forefront of our Kids Program. The kiddos even ride the same trails as mom and dad! We’ve also implemented arena lessons for kids and families that need a little extra training. Your little buckaroos will be on their way to becoming wranglers in no time!
- Sporting clays is usually an adult pastime, but older kids and teenagers can partake after gaining approval from the ranch manager and their parents. The younger kids can test their marksmanship on our .22 rifle plinking range and dream of becoming the next Annie Oakley.
- Mountain biking on our double and single track trails is a must-do activity for everyone, especially kids with a need for speed! Our bikes allow for riders 60 inches or taller.
- 3-D Archery has always been a big hit with youngsters. Since our recurve and compound bows are set to around 15 pounds, most children over ten should have no problem hitting the three-dimensional targets. The mile-long course has numerous stations along the way.
- Kids Kayaking Day is the perfect time to teach your child how to maneuver a boat. If you’d like to bring them on a different day, all they need is to have an adult with them in their kayak.
- MegaZip is an adrenaline-pumping, gravity-powered free fall that thrusts patrons through 1500 feet of pure excitement before dropping into our pond for a nice cooldown.
- Geocaching seems to grow in popularity each year. Anyone with a GPS unit can use it to partake in this rewarding challenge. Think of it as a scavenger hunt with technology. We do have GPS units at the trading post for those who don’t have one.
- The challenge course and climbing wall are possibly the most unique features of our ranch. All participants will get a safety orientation, and we will adapt the course activities for youngsters.
- Fishing at Red Horse Mountain is available any time of day, but children under 14 must be with an adult. Stocked with a healthy population of crappie, brook trout, perch, smallmouth, and largemouth bass, our on-site pond is catch and release only, so be sure to grab a camera!
- The Pottery Barn is technically indoors, but kids adore it so much we had to put it on the list! Your little adventurers will gain an opportunity to unlock their inner artist by taking a deep dive into ceramics, painting, and other crafts. What better place to gain inspiration than at the foot of a mountain?
Idaho Dude Ranch for Kids Family Vacation Packages
Family summer vacations are often our most fond memories when looking back as adults, so why not extend that joy to the next generation? With an attractive all-inclusive family vacation package, booking a family retreat to Red Horse Mountain Ranch may be the easiest decision you make for your kids this year. For more information or to make your reservation, please reach out to us online or call 888-689-9680. Be sure to show your youngsters our Kids Program to get them pumped up for the trip!